This post provides some useful tips for Google Docs and Sheets.
======Google doc related tips
- Add outline (show outline)
- Print a Google Doc with Comments
File / Download As / Web Page
An HTML file will be downloaded onto your computer. Open that HTML file in a web browser and you will see the text of the Google Document with footnotes for each of the comments. you can print this html file as pdf, and it will have comments at the end of your pdf file.
- Change the default style of headings in Google doc
I do not like the default heading style in Google doc, so I would like to change it to my preferred heading styles. See below for the steps of how to do that:
- Open a Google doc
- Select the text of Heading 1, and change the style (e.g., Times new roman, font size, bold) you prefer for Heading 1
- Go to the menu Format/Paragraph styles / Heading 1/ Update ‘Heading 1’ to match (see the pic below)
You will see all the Heading 1 format updated as the one you set above. Do the same for the rest levels of headings.
- If you want to make the heading style that you have set just now the default one for Google docs, be sure to use Format/Paragraph styles /Options/Save as my default styles (see the pic below).
- Interactive Checklists in Google Docs
See below for the steps about how to create interactive checklists in your Google docs.
- Type the items — each item per line.
- Select all the lines of items.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the “Bulleted list” icon in the toolbar, and then choose the checkbox option from the pop-out menu.
- Alternately, we can click “Format” in the menu, then “Lists”, then “Bulleted list”, and finally choose the checkbox option.
- This will place a checkbox before each line in the list.
See the steps below for how to mark the checklist off when we complete them. This can be done by changing a checkbox to a checkmark.
- Left-click on a checkbox — the entire group of checkboxes will be selected.
- Left-click again on the same checkbox — this will allow us to just select the single checkbox we have clicked.
- Right-click on that checkbox.
- A window will pop up, click and choose the check mark (shown in red box in the pic below)
- The empty checkbox will now be replaced with a check mark sign, indicating the item has been completed.
- Repeat as needed for the rest of checkboxes.
======Google sheet (spreadsheet) related tips
- Freeze or unfreeze columns & rows in your Google spreadsheet
- Open a spreadsheet and select a cell in a row or column you want to freeze.
- Open the View menu.
- Hover over Freeze.
- Select one of the options to freeze up to ten rows, or five columns.
- Interactive Checklists in Google Docs (JUNE 14, 2016)